This plaza is one of the most beautiful in Spain, thanks to its irregular floor, which shows its popular origin, but it does not detract from its harmony. Its present structure corresponds to 1683, when it was closed in all its flanks. Homogeneous three-storey buildings stand out, with arcades, galleries and wooden balconies painted green.
In its origin it was the meeting place where cattle fairs were held. The council bought some houses in 1499 to undertake its meetings, establishing the Town Hall in the same place in which it is today. In 1502 Juana la Loca and Felipe el Hermoso visited Chinchón and its Plaza Mayor. In 1683 it was closed by opening enough holes to give way to processions and chariots.