The visit to Torrelaguna deserves a short walk to its hermitage. From the convent of the Carmelites of the Charity, following east by the street of the Cava, we arrive at a roundabout in which we take the road of the Soledad; after 300 meters of route, we will have arrived at our destination.
Until the late fifteenth century it was known as the humiliation of the True Cross. The current building, in baroque style of Latin cross plant with single nave of masonry of stone and brick, was raised in different phases from the sixteenth century. It was then that the rest of the cruise was built, opened with an arched vault and a tribune over a recessed arch of ashlars; the nave covered with barrel vault; the presbytery and the baptismal font. Finally, it was in the 18th century when the Virgin’s chapel was built, located behind the presbytery decorated with a painted vault. In it are also kept the different saints of the municipality that take in procession the locals like the Cristo Yaciente, a jewel of century XVI.
The access is made through two spans formed by a semicircular stone arch topped by a pediment of brick and masonry in boxes crowned by a belfry.
The traveler can also visit other hermitages of the locality like the one of San Sebastián, of century XIV; the one of San Miguel Arcángel and of Our Lady of the Good Bliss, built in 1614; or, that of Santa Maria de la Cabeza, known as the hermitage of Our Lady of Mercy. This is the oldest Marian sanctuary in Madrid, since it has its origin in the pre-Islamic period. Only its ruins and the house of the hermitage of the old Visigoth neighborhood of Caraquiz, just outside Torrelaguna, are preserved.